Backpacks are the foundation of your prepper supplies list. They keep all of your supplies organized, safe, and easily accessible. When choosing a great prepper backpack, make sure that it’s large enough to fit your supplies and sturdy enough to protect them from damage. Look for a backpack with multiple compartments and pockets so that you can separate different items. High-quality materials like nylon, canvas, and polyester typically last longer and offer more protection, but your lifestyle should influence your choice as well. For example, if you plan on doing a lot of hiking or trekking, then a lightweight and water-resistant option will keep your supplies dry in any climate.
Look for comfortable padding on shoulder straps, especially if the backpack will be heavily loaded. Metal hardware and buckles are stronger and will last longer, but they can be heavy and uncomfortable. Finally, select a pack that is durable and will last you through a variety of activities. A strong backpack is essential, as it will keep all of your prepper supplies organized and secure.
Every prepper should have a few sleeping bags in their supplies kit. A good sleeping bag will keep you warm and dry in even the most extreme outdoor conditions. Look for a waterproof and lightweight bag with a comfortable rating and insulation that will keep you warm. Make sure to keep multiple sizes on hand so you’re ready to shelter a variety of family members and guests in an emergency.
- Choose a waterproof, lightweight sleeping back.
- Pick one with a comfortable rating and insulation to keep you warm.
- Make sure to have multiple sizes of sleeping bags.
First Aid Supplies
One of the most important items to include on your prepper supplies checklist is an adequate amount of first aid supplies. This includes a variety of essentials, including bandages and gauze, antiseptic wipes, burn cream, tweezers, ACE bandage or elastic gauze rolls, over-the-counter painkillers, alcohol swabs, gloves and eye wash.
Having a full first aid kit on-hand is key for any outdoor excursions, especially for those involving a lot of adventuring. Also, be sure that your team is familiar with how to properly use and apply first aid supplies when necessary. Look into taking a few classes in first aid, if possible.
Fire and Water Supplies
Having fire and water supplies are equally important for a prepper checklist. In case of emergency or when in the outdoors, simply having the available supplies may be crucial to your safety. Depending on where you’re going, you may need the supplies to create a fire or the ability to purify water.
Fire Supplies: Fire supplies are highly beneficial to preppers due to their multiple uses, including providing warmth, cooking, and signalling for help. Therefore, when creating your checklist, ensure you have a reliable means of fire. Some items to consider as part of your prepper checklist can include:
- Firestarter (magnesium, paper, etc.)
- Cooking stove
- Water filter
- Reusable water bottles
- Water purification tablets
- Collapsible water container
Having the right fire and water supplies can be essential to your prepper checklist. So make sure you’re thoroughly prepared before you embark on your journey and are equipped with the right supplies.
In addition to the information contained in the “essentials” section, preppers should remember to include the necessary navigational items in their supplies checklist. These items will ensure that you can accurately determine your location and reach your desired destination safely.
- Compass/GPS/Maps - A compass, GPS device, and topographical maps of your area are essential gear for navigation. Not only will they help you to stay oriented and find your way back out, but they will also help you plan your optimum route. It is important to designate one of these items as your main navigational tool and the others as backups.
- Altitude Monitor - This handy gadget will help you track your altitude, which is key when navigating in rugged terrain. If you are unsure of the area you are hiking in, then an altitude monitor can be a life saver.
- Compass Holder/Protractor/Ruler - Keeping a compass holder, protractor and ruler in your supplies will help you to accurately measure distances, plot points on a map, and follow routes without having to take your eyes away from the terrain.
- Spotting Scope - Not essential, but a spotting scope can help you identify landmarks, terrain features, and other navigational aids from a distance. If you have any questions about the route you are navigating, the spotting scope can help you to verify your position and progress.
Having the appropriate navigational supplies will enable you to navigate with confidence and ensure your safety in any situation.
Building a shelter is key for safety and staying warm in the outdoors. The most common shelters are tents, tarps, and hammocks. For each, you’ll need matching poles and stakes. Don’t forget to include a repair kit to patch any holes that may have occurred along the way.
- Tent poles
- Tent stakes
- Tent sealer or waterproofing spray
- Tent repair kit
- Rope or cordage
- Tent stakes
- Tree straps for suspension
- Carabiners for attaching the hammock to the straps
Having the proper clothing supplies is essential to being a prepper and being prepared for whatever might come your way. The following is a list of essential clothing and gear that should be considered when creating your prepper supplies checklist.
- A reliable, waterproof jacket and pants.
- Thick and warm boots or shoes.
- A good pair of socks.
- Face cover.
- Long-sleeved shirts and pants.
- Compression clothes.
- Several changes of clothes.
It is important to not only have the right clothing supplies, it is important to have enough of each type of supply. If you are preparing for an extended stay outdoors, make sure you have enough clothes to last the duration.
Cooking and Eating Supplies
An essential part of your prepper supplies checklist must include cooking and eating supplies. This will allow you to prepare and consume food when the grocery stores are closed or hard to access. Here are a few items worth considering.
- Cookware: Quality cookware and utensils such as pans, pots, and sets will allow you to cook outside or in an emergency shelter. Invest in non-stick to make cooking easier if the power is limited.
- Camping Stove: Camping stoves will give you the option of preparing a meal outside of your home if necessary. Portable grills, wood burning stoves, and propane stoves are all viable options.
- Measuring Sets: Having a reliable measuring set is essential for prepping meals and snacks from scratch. A measuring cup, spoons, and food scale should be part of your survival kit.
- Non-Perishable Foods: While you may want to stock up on fresh food, having non-perishable items such as canned or dried food, jerky, and other snack items can help stave off hunger when resources are scarce.
- Fish Hooks: Fish will be plentiful during a survival situation, making fish hooks essential for providing sustenance. Look for durable, rust-resistant hooks.
- Emergency Drinking Water Supply: It is essential to have plenty of water for drinking, cooking, and cleaning. Store enough for your family as well as additional extras in case of extended emergencies.
Properly stocking your prepper supplies checklist is essential to ensure your family’s survival during an emergency situation. Be sure to include all necessary cooking and eating items.
Tools and Instruments
Having tools and instruments for any situation is essential for any prepper supplies checklist. From multifunctional pocket knives to hot glue guns and tool kits, make sure that you have the necessary tools to build, repair, maintain, and improve your prepper supplies.
- Multifunctional Pocket Knife: Multifunctional pocket knives are great for having the right tool when you need it most. Invest in one with multiple blades, a saw and bottle opener.
- Tool Kit: A tool kit provides you with the essential tools you need in a variety of situations. Look for one that includes a hammer, screwdrivers, pliers and a variety of wrenches.
- Axe: An axe is a great tool for splitting logs, lumber, cutting trees and for creating shelters.
- Saw: A saw is great for cutting through materials, building shelters and creating firewood.
- Hot Glue Gun: A hot glue gun is a useful tool for quick repairs and improvisations. It can be used to repair garments, build shelters and more.
Make sure to add the tools you need for your prepper supplies checklist. Remember: it is best to be prepared for any situation.
Self Defense Supplies
When it comes to stocking up on prepper essentials, self defense supplies are a definite must-have. No one wants to be caught off guard and powerless in a survival situation, so having the right protection tools can mean the difference between life and death. Here are some items that should be on your list.
- Guns & Ammo: While this is a polarizing topic, firearms are great for personal protection and can also provide food to survive on. Make sure you know your state’s regulations around how and when these items can be used, and always practice gun safety.
- Pepper Spray: Pepper spray is a great non-lethal form of protection that can allow you to protect yourself at a safe distance. Don’t forget to regularly check the expiration dates on any pepper spray you might have.
- Tactical Knife: Whether it’s meant for self-defense or for everyday tasks, having a good tactical knife can be an invaluable tool in a survival situation. Look for knives with special features such as serrated edges or folding blades. There are also self-defense items like tactical pens that could prove themselves useful as well.
- Bear Spray: For those areas where wild animals are a very real threat, bear spray is an effective security measure. Bear spray is most commonly used for bear attacks, but can also be used on other more aggressive wildlife like mountain lion.
Adding self defense items to your prepper supplies will give you the peace of mind knowing that, in any survival situation, you have the tools and protection you need.
Sanitation is one of the most important pieces of outdoor gear for any prepper supplies checklist. When you’re headed outdoors, you need to be prepared in the event of an emergency. Having the right sanitary supplies to help you stay clean and healthy is essential when the grid goes down.
Sanitary Protection Supplies
It should go without saying, but it’s vital that you have the proper protection when heading out for a long weekend or extended stay. Depending on your prepper supplies checklist, you might want to consider bringing these items with you:
- Personal supply of face masks
- Rubber or disposable gloves
- Hand sanitizer & soap
- Garbage bags
Sanitary Disposal Supplies
When you’re away from home, it’s important to have the right supplies to help you dispose of waste in a sanitary manner. Here are a few items you might want to include on your prepper supplies checklist:
- Bio-degradable waste bags
- Sterilization tablets
- Buckets & cleaning supplies
- Compost toilet
Sanitation is a critical piece of any prepper supplies checklist - don’t forget to pack these important items before heading outdoors.